37 replies to this topic

#1 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

My main frustration with the AWS (even more than the barn door model) is the low engine cap. The 9M doesn't have that issue and actually has decent quirks, PinaColada is one of my pet mechs. Sure, it's just laser vomit, but it's laser vomit with style. It's a barn door that moves!Posted Image I've also started to see the quad PPC 8Q around some. I'm thinking about rebuilding mine and messing with it, theory crafting it it looks fun and I've seen it be effective in skilled hands. The 8R was the third I leveled and was actually my least favorite of the three (super slow assault and brawling means being too reliant on circumstances you can't create and I pretty much don't LRM).

Edited by TercieI, 15 June 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#2 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

I miss running my Awesomes! Sold down to just my 9M (alternate it between ERPPCs and Ultimate Laser ZOMBIE). I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs after the re-scale. I want to recreate the 8V(?) I used to run with A-SRM 18 and Large Lasers. Its been a couple of years though, and I'd hold off another week to see how the re-scale (and any associated re-quirking) affects it. Might look into the model with 4 arm mounts (2 left, 2 right) and run 4 large lasers there. The Awesome has some of the BEST arm swing in the game! If its frame becomes smaller and harder to hit, it may turn into an effective brawler because it can shoot so far off from its nose!

#3 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

i would post because i am the most insane awesome fan but i am going through technical difficulties with my computer and i cannot play mwo.

the best builds IMO are

2erppc + 1medlas + 4xsrm6 on the 8r with std300,

2LL + 2LRM10+ 2LRM15 on 8r with bap and command console XL300.

3 LPL + 1erll + 1 medlas + 2 srm2 on 8t with std300,

and one i got a soft spot for

2erppc + 1 ppc + 2 medpulse + 1 medlas + 1 srm4 on 9m. + std305.

(when shooting down range obviously use 3ppcs, when the enemy is close switch to MPL+medlas+srm4 and if there's an emergency finish the enemy off with erppcs even up close)

this is the first mech i bought... and i got this build in early 2013. i am still driving it and it still kicks ***.

but like i said no in depth post cause i am mad that i can't play.

Edited by Mazzyplz, 21 July 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#4 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:07 AM

With the resale imminent I'm hopping the Awesome gets some love. I've been holding off on the rest of my AWS collection in case the resale wrecks it's quirks or geometry.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostRaso, on 16 June 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

With the resale imminent I'm hopping the Awesome gets some love. I've been holding off on the rest of my AWS collection in case the resale wrecks it's quirks or geometry.

I think it's going to happen. Yay!

#6 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

I have all the Awesome and they are my favourite assault mech.
The 8Q, 9M, PB are what I pilot often.

8Q energy brawler
5x Medium Pulse Laser in the torso
2x PPC in the arm
a big 300 STD engine with 20 DHS

9M
2x erPPC in each torso
1x Large Pulse Laser in the arm
2x SRM4 for upclose engagement
XL 350 and 19 DHS for constant re-positioning and firing.
This build is mostly for range poking in faction play.

PB support brawler
3x SRM6 + Artemis
2x Large Laser
XL 375 for the speed to get in to use the SRMs and get out of trouble.
17 DHS to keep her relatively cool

#7 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

I keep looking at the Awesome as a possible addition to my Mechbay (I could use another Assault chassis).

Does anyone have any post re-scale reports on how the Awesome is performing? It didn't look like a massive change, but that doesn't mean anything.

-paws

#8 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I tried the Trail Awesome pre-rescale and post rescale and I'm left with the feeling little changes did make a difference. I was the first mech to get cored on my first go with the machine but had a fairly good brawl brawl my last go.

I differently had a harder time coring a Awesome charging at my Marauder last game, usually punch them straight through the chest Temple of Doom style.

#9 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

8Q: 300STD, 3LPL, 4ML. A slower Black Knight with a standard Engine.

Some Videos of the last build, POST rescale:

#10 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Based on my experiences post rescale, the center torso is still rather vulnerable, but the side torsos are more durable, which makes sense since the most shrinking of the front profile happened here. It's still not "sturdy," but it doesn't feel like it's made of cheap cardboard anymore, either. I've seen a few of them take a serious beating and keep going. Admittedly, you need skill to do this - not just "derp, stare at the target" - but the point is the mech now can take more of a beating.

As for favorite builds, the 8V can pack an interesting mix of 3 SRM6's and heavy energy weapons to taste. Right now, I'm enjoying my "super stock" 8Q, with 3 PPC's and a medium laser in the head. Standard 300 and DHS, though no endo - needed room for more heatsinks. Laser builds are probably better, as is the 4 PPC variant, but I like the PPC's and the 4 PPC variant runs hot and can't do anything under 90m; it also is a tight fit on tonnage.

Edited by oldradagast, 27 June 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#11 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

Love my quad ppc 8q, been using it for years now.

#12 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28f156050484d56

Reasons why:

1) crazy fun stoop1d

2 ) I feel it like a fat medium

3 ) high insta convergence 46dmg

4) cool

#13 Stalker275

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

I own 3 variants of the awesome Awesome´s:

The 8T: AWS-8T

The 8Q: AWS-8Q

The 8R: AWS-8R

The 8R has realy good quiks for Lrm 15 so it became a LRM boat, thats my preference.

8T wasn´t sure but running with 4 ER large lasers2 lrm5´s had good results (note the artemis was for 2Srm 4s but was to lazy to remove Artemis after fitting lrm 5s).

The 8Q is one i´m not sure it has pretty good PPC quirks but running it with 2Large Pulse lasers and 5 med pulse makes it a good brawler too.
8Q alternative loadout: AWS-8Q

Edited by Stalker275, 29 June 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#14 Kaldrenborn

• PipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

This is my favorite Awesome Build. Between quirks and modules, you can chainfire almost seemlessly. Granted, if the enemy gets in close there isn't a lot you can do. The idea is to kill them before they get close. :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bd0b4a037875651

#15 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

I brought my 9M out of mothballs the other day, sucked really badly with the STD engine build i was running from before the rescale, so tinkered with it quite drastically and came up with this...

AWS-9M

Armour distribution isn't spot on, but total amount is - i front load a lot more than that. Heat isn't great, so i run 2 cool shots, plus LPL range and cooldown, Radar Derp and target info gathering (last is personal preference tbh, i like to know where the weak spots are asap). Prefer the SPLs to mediums as they're almost as much damage for a lot less heat, although their range sucks. The SRM is there as a tertiary for when one needs a snap shot while the lasers are on cooldown.

As Stefka said above, it feels more like a fat medium than an assault mech, and imo is the best way to approach it. With the big XL engine and tweak you're cruising at nearly 84kph, but are a little squishy so need to keep good situational awareness and make use of your mobility. With good care and attention (and a lot of torso twisting) you can survive longer than you might expect, and tactically re-position when things get a little rough.

If you try and play the Awesome (or at least the 9M) like a regular assault you're just going to end up cored and dead against almost anything - you're only 5 tonnes heavier than a Timberwolf and a a bigger target.

Run and gun, you'll live longer and have more fun in the process.

#16 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

View Postxengk, on 16 June 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

I have all the Awesome and they are my favourite assault mech.
The 8Q, 9M, PB are what I pilot often.

8Q energy brawler
5x Medium Pulse Laser in the torso
2x PPC in the arm
a big 300 STD engine with 20 DHS

9M
2x erPPC in each torso
1x Large Pulse Laser in the arm
2x SRM4 for upclose engagement
XL 350 and 19 DHS for constant re-positioning and firing.
This build is mostly for range poking in faction play.

PB support brawler
3x SRM6 + Artemis
2x Large Laser
XL 375 for the speed to get in to use the SRMs and get out of trouble.
17 DHS to keep her relatively cool

these are all good builds. i'm running very similar builds on mine

#17 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

I wish that the 9Q was a thing, but we are looking a few more years per the Lore...

4 PPCs
1 SL
ECM
19 DHS
240 rated engine

Edited by Black Lanner, 06 September 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:57 AM

Besides the Marauder and Warhammer the Awsome is THE PPC WIELDER !Posted Image
I'm trying to avaoid the still rampant running laser vomit affliction as much as I can since, together with LRMs, the only thing it does is alowing bad marksmans and pilots to mask their inability to a certain degree and makes them reluctant to learn.

The Question is...who wants to fire AC20 at 600m with little less than Gauss projectile veloccity (1800m/s) and without the need for ammo?

SHSTech AWS-8Q:
27 SHS, 4PPCs, 432armorHP, 300XLReactor and endosteel. Heatcappacity is the main theme of this guy. The downside is its XL Reactor and the arguably slower heat dissipation.
But heatsinks in your leggs can come in handy. --> full doubble cappacity when standing in water.

DHSTech AWS-8Q:
18 DHS, 4PPC, 480armorHP, 300standart Reactor and endosteel. Your heatcappacity is lower than with the lowtech version but you got an equivalent of 31,2 heatsinks with its DHS.

Both versions have their ups and downs. PPCs seem to be quite intimidating to lots of people, at least I've experienced that pinning down enemys with continued PPC barrages is quite possible.
Backhugging lights can be a problem when you tend to stray away from your team so...don't.

And last but not least...Its pretty much like wielding quad AC10 or dual AC20 with 600m range while runnig cooler than you would using them.

#19 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:01 AM

On the 8Q - The quirks are amazing, especially the generic 15% heat gen and the 50% velocity
3LPL 4MPL, STD290, 19 heatsinks. Tremendous component destruction. 3LPL 4ML, 20 heatsinks, STD 300 for a bit more range.

Classic 4PPC, 19 heatsinks, STD300 - Do I need to say more?

There's a weird 3LL 2PPC LR build, STD290. Actually works pretty good, but a bit hotter than 4PPCs. (Thank BlackhawkSC)

AWS-9M - It's fast and has laser duration quirkage instead of range
STD320, 3LPL 3ML, very tanky, hits decently, moves at 69 kph.

What you REALLY should try:

XL375, 3LPL 3ML - handles like a medium mech.
XL385, 3ERPPC - I don't play this much, but it's not bad

Did I mention these builds go north of 80 kph easily?

AWS-8R

I hate LRMs, so

4xSRM6+A, 1LPL, 2SPL, STD300.
ONE point short of the AS7-S alpha strike, with 3 more heatsinks and more SRM ammo, but it's still a good bit hotter, no pp AC20, and of course, the biggest failing is that it's on an AWS.

Yes, my builds are unusual. But I don't play them if they aren't fun/don't work.

the 8Q and the 9M are the best variants along with the 8R.

View PostTercieI, on 15 June 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

I've also started to see the quad PPC 8Q around some. I'm thinking about rebuilding mine and messing with it, theory crafting it it looks fun and I've seen it be effective in skilled hands. The 8R was the third I leveled and was actually my least favorite of the three (super slow assault and brawling means being too reliant on circumstances you can't create and I pretty much don't LRM).

Great that you don't LRM with the 8R as well. I keep mine for CW, it's just too unreliable in QP. :(

PPC 8Q is VERY strong. Please try it!

Edited by Keshav Murali, 07 September 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#20 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

okay it is time to post my builds;

8V (4.5 stars aws build i reckon - easy to drive, noob friendly)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69b6b7787d64151

this build is great for a couple of reasons.
it's a true jack of all trades. you can shoot the 4 lasers at 500-600m and their component will fall off.
it is also easy to use. it's just a lot of firepower, point at the enemy and shoot. no crazy twisting needed, you play this with armlock
the way to play it is to soften up the enemy first with lasers and then get closer and shoot the srms on their face. since the other mech will probably only be comfortable trading as brawler or trading vomit then there's always a chance to catch em as fish out of water. however if you turn a corner and run into a pure brawler you will die, gotta make sure you hit em once or twice from afar.
shooting locusts with this is also not the easiest.

9M: (4 star mech. ppc shooting, can zombie like the best of em)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6fbe39dafff9404

i can bring the hurt over long ranges and sustain ppc fire for a surprising ammount of time.
when caught up close it still has all the other weapons. fully capable of dealing with a medium mech just with the backup gear.
losing torsos doesn't put you out of the fight.
when ppcs flew faster this was a 4.5 star mech but in the current game it can be tricky, even with the velocity quirk.
still it's good for picking off things at a distance, light mechs think their size will save them but you can get em easy with adv. zoom.

8T: (4.5 star mech - initially this seems like a 4 star mech at best, but maximizing the usage of the arms will make you see how nifty this is)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...937ef212b788af3

possibly the trickiest mech i run. 6 weapon groups mandatory - main gun is 3 LPL. the rest are secondary weapons.
erll is there to deter snipers and shoot fleeing enemies. the laser vomit trade on this mech is quite good. but staring enemies down isn't always the best option.
playing this mech carefully at first and then becoming more aggressive is the way to go.
this mech pokes really well left or right since the medium laser on the head can most of the time hit the target.
if losing one arm then the mech just becomes heat efficient. if losing both arms mech then becomes very underwhelming.
most efficient use of arms necessary. good things can be done such as shooting sideways on the move with a lot of precision.
can almost shoot backwards (i think 140 degrees is how far the reticle goes) so you can actually core components while fleeing.
you can also put your arm into the opening of a room such as the hangar in river city and burn everything inside with minimal exposure. i like to think this is similar to how ww2 flamethrowers were just pointed at the window in the bunker and indiscriminately burn everything inside.
strongest suit is to focus down weakened components. 3 LPL will do it. just use the radar to identify yellow or orange components and just take em out like a vulture. chain fire mode is also extremely powerful on this one. the damage just keeps con piling up.
if running hot the emergency hot weapon management is medlas+1lpl+srms. should be able to keep shooting even when heat is near max.

8R (4 star aws build, lurmboat)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9512b3b90705f54

maybe should be 4.5 star but it doesn't have ammo to waste. this build won't let the quirks go to waste. large lasers shoot super fast (add LL cooldown module). lrm15 quirks make them sync up with lrm10 perfectly.
shoot 10+15 from one sidetorso, and follow up with 10+15 from other torso. chain fire the LL. this will make any mech seek cover.
primary target is mechs with a huge center torso such as dire wolf and king crab. poor fellas just get obliterated.
'like i said you gotta save some ammo for when the enemy assault is out in the open. shoot your LL first to lure em into false sense of security. once they stepped one or two meters too far from cover let it rip.
once the ammo is done however the 2 LL still can shoot an unarmored ct and core the enemy.

8R (5 star aws. honey badger)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...652400494eceb7a

yes im going to give this one five stars. for the fun factor and the amaeezin fyapowah.
at first it seems like this is too hot. but there's a certain rythm that makes it function like clockwork. of course shutting down is still common but the enemy should be exploding by that point.
twisting is essential so it's not easy to get the hang of. usually i don't even drive this mech because it's tricky to be honest, twisting and weapon managing should be really precise.
2x erppc is good at range but the mech really doesn't do well standing out in the open. it's best to use them as you move in or to deal with pesky lights at a distance. of course luckily they also work up close. when stuff is getting desperate and you just shot a srm salvo you can emergency shoot 2xerppc and finish coring the enemy up close. most likely you won't explode.
the meat and potatos of it is 4xsrm6 with the best grouping in the game IMO. should be able to take anything down.

NOTE: builds are for PUG matches. although the 8T has allowed me to kill 5 enemy thunderbolts in faction play by shooting all of the lasers into their ct chainfire.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users